A neat feature with Facebook are the reminders you get regarding your Facebook Friends’ birthdays. Did you know you can export a list of your Facebook Friends’ birthdays and use it in popular services like Apple iCal, Microsoft Outlook, and Google Calendar? The process is really easy and only takes a few steps.
1) Log in to your Facebook Account. Find the “events” link. Facebook seems to change layouts every few weeks but for us the “events” link was in the upper left of the main screen under the Favorites listing.
2) Click on the magnifying glass giving access to the drop down menu and click on “Birthdays”. Here is a screen shot of what these first two steps looked like for us:
3) After clicking on Birthdays, click on the magnifying glass again and the bottom option will now say “Export Birthdays…” A pop-up window with the URL to your Facebook Friends’ Birthday list will appear. Here is what the pop up will look like:
We will need the provided URL in your other program to complete the process. The URL is what starts with “webcal://www.facebook.com…”. Highlight it, right click and select copy to copy it to your computer’s clipboard.
4) Go to the calendar program where you’d like the Facebook Birthdays shown. In this example we’ll demonstrate how to add them to a Google Calendar. Log in to your Google Calendar (http://calendar.google.com). Along the left side click on the drop down arrow next to “Other Calendars” and select “Add by URL.”
5) A pop-up window will appear asking for the URL of the calendar you’d like to add. Paste the URL that was earlier copied from Facebook here and the new calendar will be automatically created.
That is all there is to it.